Short Title and Commencement
- It is expedient to regulate the recruitment and rules of service of all the employees.
- These rules shall be called as The Orchid School Service Rules.
- These Service Rules shall come into effect to employees from the date of their employment( official joining date) and shall apply to all categories of employees i.e. Teaching and Non-teaching staff ( full time as per TOS domain definition) working in the school.
- In the case of persons appointed on honoraria, or on a part-time basis, or on contract, the applicability of these rules shall be subject to such special terms and conditions as may be decided by the Management from time to time.
- Service Rules are subject to alteration or revision if found necessary by the Management of the School. These rules shall form the part of the employment terms and conditions of all the employees.
- The Orchid School means Unaided Private School run by Charitable Trust Pradnya Niketan Education Society.
- School – means the Schools run by the Management of Pradnya Niketan Education Society.
- Management – means the School Managing Committee.
- Society – means the Management of Pradnya Niketan Education Society.
- School Core Committee – as given below.
- Establishment – means the establishment of the Schools run by the Society.
- Employer – means the Management of The Orchid School.
- Employee – means any member of teaching or non-teaching staff including Head of School who are on the Muster Roll of the School. It includes employees of Pre-Primary, Primary and Secondary Sections.
- Teaching Staff: Teachers means the trained Teachers who are having the professional certificate such as TTC, ECCE, Montessori, B.Ed., D.Ed., M.Ed., or any other relevant recognized qualifications and or teaching experience in relevant subjects for respective areas of teaching recognized by University, competent Board, recognized authorities..It will include Teachers teaching from Nursery to class X. It will also include Physical Training Teachers, Music& Art Teachers, Sport coaches, Computer Teachers and Teachers associated with Extra Curricular Activities.
- Non-Teaching Staff: Non- Teaching Staff means the employees who are not connected directly with teaching.
- Head of School or Head – means the person by whatever name called In-charge of Academy and administrative duties and functions of the School and includes Principal.
- Director / Chief Executive Officer – means Trustee Correspondent or a person by whatever name called who is empowered to take decision and having power to execute the decision taken by the Management.
- CBSE – means Central Board of Secondary Education
- Enquiry Officer – means an officer appointed by the Management to conduct Domestic enquiry.
A. It will apply to all the employees i.e. Teaching and Non-Teaching Staffs who are on the muster roll of the School. The Management Committee may make rules providing for minimum qualification for recruitment (including its procedure) duties, pay, allowance, other benefits, post retrenchment, conditions of service of the employees.
B. Every employee shall be governed by the Code of Conduct prescribed by the Management and any violation of any provision of such Code of Conduct concerned employees shall be liable for disciplinary action.
Disciplinary action against the employee shall be taken in accordance with the provision of these Rules.
THE SCHOOL MANAGING COMMITTEE (SMC)
The school managing committee governs and guides and decides broad policies related to school’s philosophy, programme and approach.
It is an officially constituted body approved by the Board of Trustees. It is formed on the guidelines of the CBSE.
The School Managing Committee consists of the following members.
- Representatives nominated by the Board. (Ex-Officio Members)
- The Director.
- The Principal
- Heads of Pre-primary, Primary and Secondary Sections.
- Two representatives from the staff.
- Two parents of students in the school
- Two educationists to be nominated by the Society.
The school core committee governs and guides, decides and implements policies recommended or ratified by the managing committee and over sees day -to -day running of the school. It is an officially constituted body approved by the Board of Trustees. All role-holders are members of this committee.
SCC makes, modifies, recommends all policies related to school – in terms of micro and meso level operations.
This committee supervises the activity of the school for its smooth functioning. It works in accordance with the specific directions given by the Society regarding all school policy matters. It acts as bridge between the Society, Managing committee and the School.
This is also a training ground for leadership, current and future. Thus, every year 4 members from the team TOS volunteer to sit in outer circle as observers of the process and from this 2 are nominated for the committee. They have one year tenure to participate in all processes governing the school management on day to day basis.
Members for apprenticeship – Core Committee
In addition to the above team, every year a group of 4 member team is inducted as observers. They volunteer from Non-teaching, Pre-Primary, Primary, Secondary school level, chosen by lottery (if more than 4 members volunteer). They are part of the core group for a tenure of one year. This is like an apprentice, training programme for their coming role for the Core committee. They do not have any veto power. However they can be part of idea generation, policy introduction, brainstorming and leadership training. The following year, two members get nominated to the core committee again a one year tenure- for all decision making and governance process.
This provides opportunities for leaders to emerge, participate and enhance the foundation of the organization. This gives opportunity for fresh “air” to come into the committee and enrich the committee's commitment to democratic process.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITES OF THE SCHOOL CORE COMMITTEE
- Supervises the activity of the school for its smooth functioning.
- Works in accordance with the specific directions given by the Society regarding all school policy matters.
- Looks into the welfare of the staff of the school.
- Evolves both long-term and short-term programs for the improvement of the school.
- Makes the appointment of teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Exercises financial powers beyond those delegated to the Director within the budgetary provisions of the school.
- Takes stock of the academic program in progress of the school without jeopardizing the academic freedom.
- Guides to maintain Tone and Discipline in the School.
- Ensures that terms and conditions of service and other rules governing recognition / affiliation of the school are strictly adhered to.
- Ensures that the school gets furniture, science equipments, other teaching aids and Library books and requisite sports material in adequate quantity and on time.
- Exercises powers to take disciplinary action against staff.
- Empowers the Director, Heads of Primary and Secondary Schools for sanctioning leave to the staff and teachers.
- Ensures that no financial irregularity is committed and any irregular procedure with regards to admission / examination / promotion is adopted.
- Proposes to the Society various fee structures and other annual charges and reviews the budget of the school presented by the Director for forwarding the same to the Society for approval.
- Guides and monitors all processes concerning affiliation / recognition.
- Develops and provides code of conduct for students and staff.
- Commits to resolving issues related to school.
- Maintains accounts of the school, school records, service books of teachers, and such other register as may be specified by the Society / Board.
- Handles official correspondence relating to the school and furnish information required by the Authorities.
- Makes all payments including salaries in time and according to the instructions governing such payments.
- Ensures that the fees are realized and appropriately accounted for.
- Makes purchases required for the school in accordance with the policies governing such purchases, enter all in stock registers and scrutinize the bills and make payments.
- Arranges and conducts regular School Managing Committee meetings and sends the minutes of the meeting to the board of trustees.
- Represents concerns of whole school, when necessary, to the Board of trustees.
A.Pre-Primary :-Pre-Primary means the section from Nursery to Senior KG.
B. Primary:- Primary means the section from Std. I to V.
C. Secondary:- Secondary means the section from Std. VI to X
Classification of Employees as per role
- Teaching, Non-Teaching / Administrative, Service
- Full time, part / half time as per requirement or domain they are attached to.
- Visiting / Consultant/ Temporary category who are not on the school muster roll .
Probationer: means an employee who is employed as probationer to fill up a vacancy but has not been confirmed in writing.
Temporary / Contractual: – means an employee who is appointed for a specified period purely on temporary basis
Visiting : means a faculty who visits for a fixed period of time during school hours to take specific number of classes for a honorarium.
Part-time : means an employee who is employed on part –time basis.
- Each category has separate salary structure / fees / consolidated payment
- Combination of Pre-primary teaching as main teacher and primary level support teaching role has allowances and salary component.
- Norms are mentioned for deciding the salary structure as per their qualifications.
- Visiting faculty gets either consolidated amount per month or per session fees.
- On confirmation, the candidate moves to new salary scale.
- May salary (for teaching staff):
- In the first year of service, May vacation salary will be released only after completion of 11 months of service.
- Teachers who are taking work profile and timing based on their own needs will be only on consolidated basis if TOS needs their services. They are eligible for mainstream appointment only if there is “vacancy”. Till then they are not eligible for any benefits.
- They are eligible for 6 days paid leave.
- However, they need to attend all relevant and specific events of school where they play an important role and workshops related to their subjects.They are eligible for 50% May vacation salary. If they miss work beyond 6 days, proportionate salary to be cut.
- Appraisal/ BAUP: BAUP will be conducted once a year. If a candidate performs below expected level, then he/she will be given a chance to improve and then a second BAUP will be conducted.
- Confirmations norms as per TOS apply.
- Confirmation of the employee will be decided on fulfillment of requirements, the appraisal and subject to vacancy in the domain.
a. Qualification of Teaching & Non-Teaching Staff
It will be prescribed by the School Core Committee from time to time.
All appointments of all categories shall be made by SCC through a selection committee constituted by the school society and in accordance with and upon such conditions as the managing committee may decide.
Recruitment policy has been worked out in detail.
All the employees including Teaching and Non-teaching Staff will be given Letter of Appointment . Appointment letter shall be for a specific period, which may be mutually extended on the agreed terms and conditions.
All the appointments except for temporary and part time ( as per categories) employees will be on probation for a period of 24 months and which may be extended/confirmed at the sole discretion of the SCC.
All the required documents such as:
- Date of Birth
- Attested Degree / Diploma Certificates.
- Work experience certificates or letters.
- Reference letters of the candidates' capability, if any
In case, the information/documents furnished are not genuine or found to be incorrect, employee may be liable to be terminated without assigning any reason.
Some Different categories of appointments:
Unit Heads / Coordinators
- When the unit gets to full capacity in terms of divisions and class capacity, we recommend that the unit gets a head. Until then a coordinator heads the group. When the unit gets the head, the coordinator position may get tenure ship or if necessary, the post may get scrapped.
- All Unit Heads, Coordinators have to be full time (Full day school). They share both teaching and administrative tasks. Hence it is a non-vacation post.
- Unit head / Coordinator chosen from within & elevated or if no suitable candidate found ,a new one from outside with relevant experience from previous work place.
- Unit head / Coordinator can resign from the post but wants to continue to work in school, he /she has to inform this in writing to the core committee giving one month notice period. However, when resigning from school, he /she has to give notice as per the separation norms. In case of payment , he /she also has to give the allowance component back to school
- Unit Head's appointment is a permanent appointment. Until the employee leaves, she / he holds the post. Unit heads are not on tenure. They resign or may be asked to terminate services based on appraisal/ disciplinary measures.
- Unit heads eligibility- preferably after one year of work experience at TOS in main teacher role and coordinator's position.
- Unit heads and academic coordinators only if appropriately qualified.
- Administrative unit head and coordinators- Interest, initiative and previous work experience. However, after appointment, they are encouraged to acquire relevant qualifications to their work area.
- Academic unit head will not be class teacher but does contact basis teaching time (minimum 30%) in addition to administrative work.
- Academic coordinator may or may not be a class teacher but definitely does significant amount of teaching work.
- The coordinator may or may not be appointed as unit head.
- There will be two components to their salary - salary + role holder allowance.
- Academic coordinators' posts may be interim appointment and until the units gets full strength (in terms of divisions).
- Administrative coordinator posts are permanent. Until the employee leaves, she / holds the post. These posts are not on tenure. They resign or may be asked to terminate services based on appraisal/ disciplinary measures.
- Staff can be nominated or selected for the coordinator's post. They may not be given option to consider the offer.
- All Unit Head’s & Coodinator report to Principal and Director for various functions and responsibilities. They are in responsible positions and accountable for the smooth functioning of their respective domain. They essentially represent their domain as well as whole school in terms of all 4 P's. They are part of the school managing Core Committee that's responsible for all policies related to school.
All Unit Heads & Coordinators have to go through a special selection process. The steps are specified or modified by SCC from time to time. TOS staff members are part of the selection of the leaders. It may be specific to their own domain.
The steps involved:
- Internal advertisement with specification for the candidate.
- Applications received.
- Presentation by the candidates to the core committee and whole TOS team.
- Unit Heads, Coordinators and TOS team grades the member on various parameters.
- Personal interview with core committee.
- If candidate joins without completing selection procedures (entrance test, demo lesson etc), or under observation for satisfactory delivery of services and competence, candidate is appointed on provisional / Adhoc basis for first three months.
- If found satisfactory, employment is regularized after that said period.
- For increment and confirmation, one or two years from the date of provisional appointment will be counted.
- No notice period for resignation / termination required during provisional appointment.
- Appointment made for the specific period / specific requirement is called as contractual appointment.
- Contractual employee will be liable for the TDS payments and other payments described in the GR.
- Contractual employee cannot be confirmed.
- Contract is to be renewed after the tenure is over if found satisfactory at the discretion of the management.
- Contractual employees are not eligible for the regular employees’ benefits and privileges.
- All internal transfers / shift in position/ location/timing/profile will be officially communicated and necessary salary / allowance implication will be worked out as per salary/appointment guidelines.
Anyone joining TOS at an age of 58 or so will be on consultant / visiting role. The individual can work till 60 yrs of age or further depending on the requirement of the organization and the individual's competence and capabilities.
The role & compensation package and privileges depend on individual' competence and organizational requirement.
Scale of Pay, Allowances, Benefits including Retrenchment Benefits of the Employees:
- Scale of pay, allowances, annual increments and benefits including retrenchment benefits of the employees shall be recommended by School Core Committee and ratified by The PNES Board from time-to-time.
- The eligible employees shall be entitled for:
Salary Structure:All staff receiving salary are liable for taxes ( professional / TDS) as per norms.
- At entry level : For full time teaching staff as per their domain, qualification, work experience Salary + 30% of base salary + Interim allowance as per domain and category + other allowance perks as per eligibility.
- 2nd Year of service: Regular annual increment 10% on salary component and all allowances (30% + Interim allowance as per domain and category + other allowance) to continue.
- 3rd year only for employees who are eligible for confirmation - Confirmation salary will be given as per the GR of 6th pay commission
- 3rd year for employees who are not eligible for confirmation will get regular 10% yearly increment of the salary component only.
- For confirmed staff : The annual increment cycle for confirmed employees being July, will be applicable to the staff that have got confirmed 6 months before. If not they will get in this cycle of annual increment from the next academic year.
- The annual increment will be as per 6th pay commission i.e 3% . This increment will be given every year in the month of July. If an employee has joined in May / June, his or her increment in next cycle and not immediate July.
- If a confirmed employee has gone in the unpaid leave category of more than 8 days, then his/her increment will get postponed to one year, as per 6th pay norms.
1. Experience Allowance:
- In addition to the salary component as per guidelines, teachers also get a experience allowance of Rs.200 per year. This is only for trained teachers at Pre- Primary, Primary and Secondary levels. This work experience is counted only after they have completed their teacher training. Years of experience before doing their teacher training course shall not be counted.
- Work Experience Allowances added to the gross salary.
- This experience allowance is not given to visiting faculty, assistant teachers, and admin staff .
- Your joining date defines the benefits you will get.
- Fee waiver for staff children will be given only if they are part time/ full time as per level definition.
- This privilege is meant for up to two children only.
- If due to personal choice any staff takes a special time assignment, fee waiver will not be given.
- Visiting faculty and consultants are not eligible for this privilege.
Staff who have taken admission for their child/children till academic year 2010-11will get 50 % or 100% annual fee waiver for those on probation or on confirmation or when confirmed as the case may be.
Those who get 100% fee waiver will pay full amount for TLM (cost of text books, note books, study material or any other per head cost incurred by the school ). Those who get 50 % waiver will pay 50 % of the TLM cost.
Staff who will take admission for their child from academic year 2011-12 – all will get 50 % waiver for annual fees. Board will consider exceptions for 100% fee waiver on criteria based recommendation.
Everyone who is on probation or new joinee pays 100% onetime admission fees. 50% of this gets refunded after one year of continuous service at TOS.
If the child is in school before the staff joins, then staff has to join only within one year of your child’s admission, then you get 50% of the admission fees refund after you complete 1 year service.
Tuition fees :
Once paid, cannot be refunded. Only further installment will have the applicable fee waiver.
3.Subsidized child care:
- Available for staff children if the children are attending TOS. If they are in some other school, teachers may use this facility on special occasions with prior permission.
- The charges will be Rs. 800 / per child per month.
- The amount charged will be irrespective of the numbers of working days in the month in advance.
- The amount will be charged term wise. Challan goes in May / June and October
Staff given free transport if using the school transport to work. This privilege is for the stops and not to door step. Staff’s children will, however pay for the transport.
School transport if possible may be provided for staff for official work, field trip etc. Transport requisition to be given to Admin Head in advance to book the school van. If the van not available or booked for some other purpose or economically not viable for just one person going then a proportionate transport allowance will be granted by the appropriate authority as per travel policy.
5. Medical check up and Mediclaim Insurance:
All new employees will submit a fitness certificate at the time of appointment.
After completing one year, all employees required to undergo medical check-up, every year by the Medical Officer appointed by the Management.
In case any employee is declared medically unfit by Medical Officer appointed by Management and if the Management is satisfied that the employee is incapable to discharge his/her duties, the Management can terminate services of such employee by giving him/her three months/two months (as applicable) notice and paying him/her all legal dues as prescribed in the Rules and Regulations of the school.
- Medical Checkup for TOS staff for those who have completed 1 year compulsory. Staff who have completed 1 year will pay certain amount of the total bill. It depends on the total bill amount, age of the employee etc. This amount will be decided by the core committee on yearly basis. Other TOS staff too can avail of this facility and TOS will coordinate with hospital for the check up. The amount will be deducted from salary. A consent letter to this effect should be signed.
- Medical insurance and mediclaim policy for hospitalization for confirmed employees introduced. TOS will contribute Rs. 500 per year for each confirmed employee towards the premium. The staff needs to pay the balance premium as per plan in equal monthly installments (12 months). Other staff members can avail the facility by paying the full premium.When an employee gets confirmed, the medi claim policy premium should be paid irrespective of the premium cycle.
- The employee will be required to update knowledge and skills every year by attending in-service and out bound programs.
- These may be within or after school hours or on holidays.
- Employee will be required to travel outside Pune, to attend training programs when necessary.
- When deputed from school for attending seminars, workshops, conferences, the employee will pay 50% cost of the training/ workshop / seminar.
- Local or outstation training travel, Boarding and Lodging will be paid by TOS as applicable.
- In case of cancellation of participation (after all payments done) from staff side 3 days before the work shop staff to reimburse 50 % of the fees school has paid and look for substitute to fill the place. Last minute cancellation, staff to pay 100% amount the school has paid for.
a. For Local Travel:
- Wherever possible school van/bus will be arranged. If there are more members , it is better to hire a bus. 3-4 and upto 7 members can travel in the School van .
- In case no transport can be arranged, then Riksha can be used but prior approval by the training head / authorized person necessary.
- If travelling to Mumbai: Travel by bus(Volvo), train is economical, especially if staying overnight.
- If 3-4 people travelling and going for a day trip, then hiring a car would definitely be economical because then even the local travel is taken care of.
Mode of Transport and eligibility:
- Air-Director and Principal
- Train-3rd AC: Unit-heads, Coordinators
- Train- Sleeper class : Staff members.
- Range: Sanctioned by the authorized person.
- Local Transport as per Actual.
- Staff will have to pay 100% travel cost in case of last minute cancellation of a bus ticket or a train ticket, as that is the cost to the institution.
- If the staff cancels a train ticket in advance , then he/she can pay the actual cancellation charges.
- In case of a flight ticket, if it is a non-endorsable ticket, then the individual will have to bear the full charges as again there is no refund on such a ticket.
- If the ticket is endorsable/refundable and there is a cancellation, then the individual if cancelling in advance, pays only the cancellation charges. But if it is a last minute no-show , then the individual will have to bear the full charges as there is no refund in this case.
- If a room reservation is cancelled, then the individual pays the cancellation charges as applicable by the Hotel authorities.
For the TOS staff who is participating in any Exchange programme: TOS/PNES may contribute up to Rs. 25,000 per candidate. The participant has to sign a one academic year bond (May -April). If violating this agreement, candidate to pay rupees 50,000 as penalty. Bond on stamp paper.
TOS staff who is participating in any Exchange programme has to host the teachers coming in for the exchange programme. If not possible due to personal reasons, they have to reciprocate hospitality in some form – may be take the guests on guided tour, dinners etc.
If due to any special circumstances (like crisis or emergency life turning events), the terms of separation needs to be reexamined, the committee reserves the right to do so at its discretion.
9. Contributory Provident Fund Pension Scheme :
- All employees including except those on visiting faculty / contractual /consultancy services will be required to become members of the Contributory Provident Fund Scheme as required under the employees' Provident fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1952 or shall be eligible for pension and gratuity if adopted by the school.
- 12% of the Basic +D.A will be deducted for employee's contribution.
- 13.61% of your Basic + D.A will be added to your P.F. account from the Employer, maximum up to Rs. 780 per month.
- Employees will be given a P.F. Account number so you can monitor your savings.
- Provisional and Temporary appointment / substitutes No P.F.
- Bank letters related to loan application etc. given to employees only after confirmation. (without any liabilities)
- For Fine Arts Faculty: Special concert practice allowance recommended and sanctioned by core committee and authorized by Unit Heads.
- Uniforms for Service staff except Saturday are compulsory. 2 sets of the uniforms will be provided to them every year.
- Peons and Maushis are eligible for salary advance (up to 1 month salary) after completing 1 year of continuous service. They are given the advance once in two years. The advance should be recovered within one year.
- Work experience letter given to employees only if worked for a minimum period of one academic year.
- Reference letter from Unit Heads, Coordinators given only if employees honour separation norms and complete all required formalities.
This position is a privilege and not just a post. It offers enormous possibilities for learning and growth. They are mentored and coached for leadership position and performance.They are visible faces of the organization. They represent their respective domain in all dimensions.
- In addition to the salary component, experience allowances etc. an additional Unit head / Coordinator allowance is added to the gross salary.
- Salary will be according to their qualifications. (refer to salary guidelines)
- They will get annual increment only on salary.
- Individual Unit Head’s & Coordinator' allowance gets reviewed every 3 years. Principal's allowance gets reviewed every 2 years. Annual increase 10% for every year to be Academic; 6000/- per month Unit Head Pre-Primary, Primary.and secondary calculated.
- Unit Heads, Coordinators & IT department by virtue of their role work many times on extended work hours. But some of them are required to be at school on any given working day at 8.30 am to welcome children, take assembly, arrange substitution etc. To acknowledge the fact they need respite once in a while and not lose the spirit of the time commitment, they can come late 5 times in a month by 15minutes i.e. by 8.45 A.M. latest. (Regular staff has 3 times). They can also take a half day once in a month. However, they need to fill the TR form for the same and mention compensatory off for stretched time.
- IT department can come late and fill up TR (only on days they have scheduled work beyond school hours).
- Other rules and privileges are applicable as per other TOS staff.
- If elevated to new Role for temporary reason, will get allowance of new role only.
- The role holder allowance ( as fixed amount) be given to the interim person when the head is proceeding on long leave.
a. Except in case of a purely temporary vacancy or leave vacancy or for a specific post of temporary nature, every employee shall on initial appointment be on probation for a period of TWO YEARS from the date of his/her joining the duties. The period of probation may be extended by the Managing Committee by a further period of one year, based on the performance.
Services of an employee may be terminated during probation period or extended period of probation by the Managing Committee by giving 1 month's notice for staff (teaching / non-teaching) and 2 month's notice for the Unit Heads , Coordinators, Director& Principal, in writing or one/two month's salary as the case may be.
b. If an employee desires to be relieved during the period of probation, it will be necessary for him/her to give one/two month's notice in writing or one/ two month's salary unless and otherwise the Managing Committee permits relaxation under special circumstances.
- If the work and conduct of an employee during the period of probation are found to be satisfactory, he/she will become eligible for confirmation on the expiry of period of probation or the extended period of probation as the case may be, with effect from the date of expiry of the said period, provided he/she fulfils the other requisite conditions.
- Respective Domain Heads / Coordinators have to sign a confidential recommendation form for confirmation of the employee. The basic details of employment with TOS in terms of eligibility, joining date, leave position, salary structure will be provided by Admin department. This form is a confidential note forwarded by Admin Head to Unit Head, countersigned by Principal and Director. One copy goes into the Employee's personal file.
- The employee shall be informed of his confirmation in writing within 3 months of the completion of the Probation period.
- On confirmation, the employee is eligible for increment as per norms, and may be moved to the scale from consolidated salary as the case may be.
- Increments and confirmation salary structures are based on salary and not including the experience or other allowances.
- If the confirmation is withheld due to any reason beyond probation, the employee is not eligible for the increment.
Who can be confirmed:
- Full time regular employees(full time defined by the level demands)
- Eligibility only if trained( for teaching staff)
- Eligibility if has relevant experience for admin staff.
- Maushis/ Peons can be confirmed and get the benefits as per recommendations.
- Confirmation only after going through the recommendations by Unit Heads /Coordinators / Principal / Director.
- Shift from part time to full time- for confirmation 2 years of service in full time job (as the level demands).
- Shift to new post- confirmation after completing two years full time (or as per level) in any role. Increment given on that new post after completing one year from the time of transfer/appointment.
- If on consolidated from the beginning due to “no training but relevant experience” situation, then staff needs to complete relevant training for confirmation. The first years of service at TOS can be counted for confirmation subject to satisfactory delivery of services.
- Leave of absence without pay may delay the confirmation.
- Staff works for a full year or two resigns mainly due to relocation, honors separation norms, and then rejoins: The committee ratifies by considering 1 year for confirmation (and not 2 years probation). However the committee reserves the right to not grant this special consideration when required.
- Salary structure starts from the base with allowances for work experience of same domain 1 year.
- Part time teachers (who have taken it as an option because of their convenience /the school has offered it as only possible and or available opening) cannot be confirmed. If an employee, from the beginning was a part time for school requirement, their eligibility for confirmation is after 2 yrs after they become full time.
- Shift from full time to part time will result in loss of the confirmation eligibility.
- If the school requires a full time staff but the staff prefers to take only part time for her / his convenience, appointment as consultant.
- Visiting faculty .
- Assistant Teachers (Pre-Primary)
As per CBSE rules the staff salary should be released before 10th every month. Last working day of the month will be the last date to regularize the leave record. Any application coming after that date will not be considered and leave / salary may get deducted. To regularize it, the staff has to get Director’s signature and approval for that.
The categories of Leave are as follows:-
1. Privilege Leave (Earned Leave) 2. Casual Leave
3. Maternity Leave 4. Extra Ordinary Leave (crisis leave)
Leave cannot be treated as a matter of right.
Procedure and entitlement of leaves will be as follows.
Leave will be calculated from May to April.
- Grant of Leave shall depend on the exigencies of the institution and shall be at the discretion of the Head / Director.
- No leave will be granted during school retreat, camps of relevant classes, major school events, May orientation and April training.
- Staff retreat optional only for visiting faculty and consultants. If others miss it, salary deducted (irrespective of any reason). If staff misses the retreat, staff has to pay 100% of the stay cost , travel and lose 2 days CL .
- Except in un-avoidable circumstances application of leave shall be made in writing in advance a letter or phone message should reach the Head / Director on the day of absence. When a phone message is sent, it should be confirmed in writing by the subsequent day. Merely applying leave does not mean sanction until and unless it is sanctioned and signed by the sanctioning authority.
- Leave of absence without intimating to the office/concerned authorities may lead to salary deduction even if the employee has leave to his/her balance.
- Teaching staff will be entitled for 12 days casual leave.
- Full time regular staff as consultants on consolidated salary will get 6 days as casual leave.
- Half day casual leave may be taken. In case of any half day working, and one is absent on that particular day, one day casual leave will be counted.
- Visiting teachers are not eligible for any CL. If they miss a teaching day, they need to compensate with another teaching day. Or else, salary is deducted accordingly.
- For all faculties, working extra days/ hours due to workshop, concert practice, sports day practice, camps, retreats etc is part of their mandatory role. Hence this cannot be used as compensation for missed working days.
- For teaching staff maximum up to two CL allowed in the months of May, Diwali, and December Exceeding the 2 days will be considered as a loss of pay even in emergency.\
- For non-teaching staff, CL maximum up to 2 days. 3 and above will be treated as PL.
- Non- Teaching + Admin staff will be entitled to leave as per following schedule:
Year CL PL Year 1 12 After 6 months of job - 11 days Year 2 12 Y22 after completing one year Year 3 12 25 after completing 2 years
- Part-time non-teaching (Maushis, peons etc) are not eligible for PL. They will receive full salary for May salary + 10 days paid leave in May – 1 to 10th May, fixed.
- A maximum of 30 days can be accumulated. Only 20 days leave can be taken at a stretch. During school working days, maximum of 7 working days of PL can be granted.
- Longer PL granted only during vacation. – Diwali, Christmas and Summer
- PL cannot be clubbed with the Casual or Maternity Leave.
- First day and last day of the school compulsory for non-vacation staff too.
- Casual leave cannot be clubbed with the earned leave or compensatory off.
- If any leave is taken on Saturday and Monday, then Sunday will be counted as leave.
- First day and last day of vacation are compulsory to attend or else entire holiday/ vacation salary is deducted.
- A phone call or a message is required if you have taken an unexpected leave. If the leave is prolonged due to certain unavoidable circumstances and no information is given then there is a loss of pay or even a loss of job at the discretion of the management.
- Female employees will get maternity leave for 3 months with pay after confirmation. 3 months leave will have to be taken consecutively including holidays and vacations+ 1 more month in continuation can be taken which will be without pay.This leave will be sanctioned for staff members who require it for natural / adoptive parenthood.
- The above privilege is meant for up to two children only.
- Male employees will get 10 days paternity leave with pay after confirmation.
- In case of hospitalization of self or immediate family members seriously ill, or accident or death in the family, 10 days of crisis leave after confirmation will be sanctioned. This will be carried forward up to a maximum of 1 month (3 years accumulated). and it can not be en-cashed. Employee shall produce evidence documents for records when necessary. Cannot be combined with CL, PL, or maternity leave.
- Leave for exam before confirmation if minimum 7 days needed apply leave at least one month before exam (based on tentative dates). Or else apply leave norms.
- Trend to curb loss of pay If unpaid leave taken above 8 days in a year for teaching and non-teaching staff, increment and or confirmation to be postponed . Exceptional cases to be considered at Management discretion.
- Unpaid leave of 90 days maximum can be taken at one stretch. If it exceeds 90 days, the employee will have to resign and rejoin. This once in 5 years tenure.
- Above 8 days to 15 days confirmation/ increments postponed for 6months.
- Above 15 days, every 7 days if exceeded confirmation / increment postponed for additional 3months.
- Maximum 1 year delay of confirmation / increment will be allowed. Then the case will be referred for review by the Core Committee Group.
- Official working on school holidays (only if worked full day and authorized before hand by the respective personnel) are counted for compensatory leave.
- Compensatory leave preferably be taken with in 2 months or else the leave lapses. Exceptional cases to be treated on case to case basis
- Voluntary work on holidays is not eligible for compensatory off.
- No comp off to be given for any kind of retreat (for General staff as well as Unit Heads & Coordinators). Retreat to be viewed as treat than another assignment as school arranges beautiful locale, great food, competent facilitators etc.
- Comp off to be given to any TOS member who attends training on holidays (not vacation) for the school.
All the Teaching Staff will be entitled for Vacation Pay as per the guidelines issued by the Management.
Retirement age for all the categories of employees including head of institution will be 58 years.
The managing committee may grant extension if the employee has no mental/physical disabilities and his or her services are beneficial to the institution.
The School Management shall have the right to retire an employee in case one is found physically or mentally disabled which renders him incapable to carry out his duties. However, such employee will be examined by the Medical Officer appointed by the Management and Management decision will be final and binding after perusal of the recommendation of Medical Officer.
Age of employee shall be determined on the basis of documentary evidence provided by the concerned employee. In case the records are inconclusive, the age of the employee shall be determined by the Medical Examination carried out by the Medical Officer appointed by the Management and the decision of the Management shall be final and binding.
Termination of Employment
Any Employee may be terminated from the services by the Management on the following grounds.
- Closure of the School
- Abolition or Reduction of Post
- Reduction in Manpower
- Physical and Mental disability to carry out the normal duties.
- Closure of course studies
- Fall in number of Pupils resulting in reduction of establishment.
- Reduction in number of class divisions due to reduction of number of students and division
- Misappropriation of school funds / accounts / violation of other kind
- If any information or documents furnished are found to be incorrect or not genuine, employee will be liable to be terminated.
- On misconduct of Employee – Termination will be done after holding domestic enquiry and on the basis of report of the Enquiry Officer.
- On violation of code of conduct, termination will be done after holding domestic enquiry and on the basis of report of the Enquiry Officer.
- The full and final settlement will be made within 7 days from the date of termination letter after adjusting any amount due from the concerned employee.
- Any other bona-fide reasons
Services of the permanent employees may be terminated after giving 3 months notice in writing or an amount equal to 3 months salary in lieu of notice period. Such employees on termination shall be paid the following things.
The services of the probationers on or before expiry of probation period or the extended period can be terminated by giving one month’s notice period.
When ever any employee appointed for a specific period in any category employment will get terminated automatically from on the last day of the specified period unless the contract period is extended by the Management in writing. No employee can claim as a matter of right of employment after the expiry of the last working day.
- If an employee, at any time after confirmation, intends to resign, he/she shall give 3 month's notice in writing or 3month's salary including all allowances to the Institution.
- Notice period is applicable only for working months (1 mth or 3 mths).
- Vacation cannot be included.
- This is applicable even for confirmed employees.
- Leave balance of all kinds cannot be counted for resignation period.
- Leave during notice period will be without pay. Notice period cannot be extended to suit the candidate's requirement.
- For candidates on probation, May salary will not be given, if resignation comes in April or May / June (immediately after vacation).
- Leave policy and resignation: any employee during the separation period would have to give the services for 3mths or 1mth tenure. Whereas if a leave is taken in this resignation period those many days add to the resignation period or the employee pays the dues for the extra whichever is applicable.
- The school holidays and weekends will not be counted in the resignation period except long vacations will not be considered.
- Relieving letter to be got from office after all formalities completed.
- If resigned from TOS and the candidate rejoins, the candidate’s appointment as per norms.
- When a staff member resigns from work, she/ he has to fill up the staff releasing from and complete all the formalities before or on the last day of working. The I-Card, Library cards, books, equipments etc should be returned to their respective departments. There should be a 'No Due' statement from each department before you leave from the organization.
- Resignation after maternity leave will be accepted after three working months or should pay salary of maternity leave and resignation period salary in total.
- Staff who does not honor their commitment and leave school on false reasons to join other school may face holding back PF for six months , not give an experience certificate, and send a letter to the new employee or legal notice as the case may be.
If any particular staff resigns for personal reason and rejoins school, the following is the policy:
- Staff worked at any level for one or more years, rejoins same level, one year probation.
- Staff worked at any level for one or more years, rejoins with domain change, one or two years for probation specially moving from earlier Pre-Primary to later Primary level.
- Staff worked at any level for two years, gets confirmed, but shifts domain, carries on the confirmation benefits but will get salary not as per confirmation but the opening salary of new domain. Two years to get confirmation salary scale.
- Management reserves the right to consider exceptional cases.
- It is the right of the Management to decide the manpower requirement and the qualifications of Teaching and Non-Teaching staff and all other categories from time-to-time thereof.
- Management is at discretion to decide whether vacancy is arisen and whether to fill such vacancy. There shall not be automatic replacement on cessation of employment of any employee for whatever reasons.
- The Management may re-organize or distribute the work amongst the remaining employees.
- The Head of the School shall submit the appraisal reports of all the employees to the Director after the completion of each session.
- SCC will examine appraisal reports of the employees and after perusal it may consider about termination, continuation, increment, etc. of the employees.
An employee shall be liable to be transferred from one section to another or from one School to the Society to another, anywhere in India and shall also be liable to be transferred from one job to another similar job provided his emoluments are not adversely affected. The terms and conditions of service as applicable at the place of posting shall automatically become applicable to the employee. The employee shall not be entitled to claim any extra remuneration or any other benefit whatsoever on such transfer.
Maintenance of Records
School shall maintain proper records for all Teaching and Non-Teaching staff. School shall also maintain the Leave Records, etc. of all the staffs.
Working Days and Working Hours
- Working days and holidays will be as per “The Orchid School” calendar.
- The working hours/ days will be such as may be specified from time to time by the SCC.
- The working hours may be different for Teaching and Non-teaching staff as may be specified by the committee.
- The working days will not be less than those specified in the rules in force. (245 days per annum)
- Other employees as falling in the category of non-vacation staff, including the administrative staff, library staff, counselor, house keeper, store manager, lab in-charge, day care in-charge and service staff( full time) will attend school during the vacation according to office timings which suit the requirements of the school. This category will have to join duty one week prior to whole staff / report before new academic session.
- As and when required, an employee may be assigned any special duty even if it to be done beyond the working hours in the interests of the school.
- An employee is also required to conduct and organize co-curricular programs and perform duties beyond normal working hours / or work profile.
It shall be decided by the SCC and shall be notified from time to time.
There will be three vacations; Diwali, Christmas and Summer and the same will be declared by the Principal at the beginning of the vacation.
Principal may call any teaching staff during the vacation for some work.
However, there will be no vacation for the Librarian and Computer Teachers.
b. Non-Teaching Staff:
There will be no vacation for the non-teaching staff which includes Computer Teachers and Librarian.
- Computer teachers will be part of the maintenance of IT department . They will have to stay back 2 days after every vacation begins, to be able to take care of the maintenance of the computers and handing over the lab. In case of regular maintenance work not being carried out then they may have to extend above period
- Every employee is expected to reach the school punctually and flash the I-D card / use bio metrics at the attendance machine on arrival and also at the time of departure.
- Late coming beyond 8.35 a.m. more than three times in a month will invite cut in half day leave/salary as per norms.
- Only once in a month, you are allowed to go 45 minutes early (12.30 / 3.15) with prior permission, authorized by unit head and TR form submitted.
- An employee who has not flashed at the attendance machine as mentioned above is liable to be considered as absent from duty for that date(s ). Failure will lead to leave / Deduction from Salary.
- If employee needs to go early -before 3.15 pm / 12.30pm half day leave has to be applied.
- Time regularization form to be submitted, authorized by unit head, if coming late or going early due to school work only.
- TR ( Time regularization) should be allowed in the morning or in between school hours if there is emergency situation or unavoidable circumstance. Fill out in-out form also. Purely at the discretion of the Unit Heads & Coordinators. Perpetual late comers are not considered for this privilege.
- Visiting faculty will have bio metrics to flash for attendance. They will also sign a separate muster to mark their attendance. Failure to sign the muster will lead to salary deduction.
If any employee is found to be absent during the working hour without prior permission and proper reason, shall be liable to be absent without leave for the period of absence. Such employee shall also be liable to disciplinary action.
2. School Occasions
All the Teaching Staff shall remain present on the open day and other activities such as Sports, Annual Functions, Examination, etc. except under the exceptional circumstances wherein prior permission has been taken from the Principal.
It is compulsory for all the teaching and non-teaching staff to attend whenever assigned the outside duty, such as Picnic, Campaign, Seminars, Extra Curricular Activities, Competition, Sports, etc. and refusal to attend the same shall amount to misconduct of disobedience of the instruction and shall be liable for disciplinary action.
- Representation to the SCC, or Director may be made only through the principal in case of teachers / other employees.
- The principal may submit her / his representation to the Board / representative of the society through Director of the school.
Private and other Tuitions
- No staff member shall undertake tuition of Orchid Students. . However fine arts teachers may impart art education through their “guru shishya parampara” only with prior permission in writing from the Principal/Director. Sports teachers too can take up special coaching sessions for individual children / groups with prior permission in writing from the Principal/Director.
- Group tuitions in the school shall not be allowed.